Tuesday, October 26, 2010

FIRST DRAFT OF FIRST MOVEMENT COMPLETE!!!!!!

I'm so excited!!! I just completed the rough draft of my first movement of my Piano Quartet. Here are my notes from it:

The quartet uses three motives. The overall structure of this movement is a sonata-allegro, with brief coda. I figured I'd post this now to get comments before I show it to my teacher on Thursday. This is the work that I ended up losing 180 bars to a Finale crash! 

Structure:

Introduction:
Measures 1 - 14: Introduction: The introduction is quite tonal, I feel. I'm uncertain about it. It sounds like it fits - and it certainly introduces some of the material I use in the movement (albeit it in disguise.) 

Exposition: You'll notice that my exposition is rather short. I introduce both themes in what I consider to be a dramatic fashion. The first theme starts with a fugue like passage. The countersubjects here I really enjoy. 

Measures 15 - 32: Fugue. This is the first theme, presented in bars 15 - 16 of the viola. The countersubject immediately follows. I break with the fugal aspect of the idea around measure 26. 

Measures 33 - 82: This is the second theme. I wanted to go for something a lot more open for this idea - especially given the thickness of the fugal texture that preceded this. This theme, along with the first, will appear in the second and third movements - albeit it disguised. My manuscript of this section luckily had heavy notes. I'm probably only going to edit a few things here - as I'm quite happy with the overall quality of this section. A few things I will change, most likely, will be the addition of the articulations for the string trio. The third theme, which will appear prominently in the third and final movement, comes in at measure 43. I really like the theme itself. I might add a tad bit of harmony to the left hand in the piano - but, I'm not sure, I really like the nakedness of the motif.

Development:
Measures 83 - 148: The transitional passage at the end of the first theme is really the beginning of the development (starting at around measure 74.) For organizational reasons related to this thread, I decided to crop it up to 83 as the start of the development. In this section, I really go out there in terms of my usage of my three themes. Needless to say, I would call this part of the movement... pure madness (perhaps that gives you a little bit of how I felt today while writing this passage... :hmmm:). That said, I don't think I will expand this. I am unsure of the final 4 - 8 bars of the development section. I'm not sure my transition there was as strong as I'd like it. I might delete what I have there and rewrite it tomorrow. 

Recapitulation:
Measure 149 - 217: Recapitulation. This recap is a verbatim recap. I'm not too happy with the first part of it after the transition back to it. What I plan to do to correct this is to instead of starting back with the viola... instead start with the violin in the upper register. The articulations for this and the exposition aren't entered yet - as I want to go through this part with a fine tooth comb to correct any playability issues with the string parts - as well as maybe beef the piano part up just a bit.

Codetta:
Measures 217 - Ending: This codetta is short and most likely will be expanded. I'm thinking of expanding the last 4 bars which constitute the ending of the piece. I might make a return back to the introductory material - just to ensure a bit more of a sense of closeness. I'm very picky of my openings.. perhaps I should be especially picky this work of the ending of the movements as well.

So, the above illustrates in depth my thoughts on the movement. Now, I'd like your thoughts. This piece has so far taken me about 3 weeks to write - and given that Finale crashed on me Sunday and I was left with only the introduction to this movement, I had to rewrite a lot of this from my notes, manuscript, and brain - needless to say, I almost gave up on this. But I think I have an amazing start to this piano quartet. I'm hoping I get some good reviews so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment