Thursday, December 24, 2009

Reflections

This past year has been a year of many milestones in my compositional style. I started the year on a rocky foot with my first piano trio. Structurally, I think that work was one of my best. Each movement contained the same thematic material - the same 'germs' - but each was woven together in quite a different way. There were lots in that piece that I feel now could've been done much better. From January to May, I composed mainly smaller works. In May, with the end of an 8 year relationship and all that aspired afterwards, my output dropped to next to nothing. I suppose that was largely due to the fallout of the end of that relationship. From May till October, I began composing again - determined now, with nothing holding me back, to reach my goals. This short period saw the creation of a number of works this year. From October till now, I have had a few more projects on my plate - namely, a number of submissions to opportunities! With the dawn of the New Year approaching, my goal is to finally see one of my pieces to performance. Whether that piece is one of the many I've sent off to various competitions/opportunities or my first ever commission - there is no doubt in my mind that this experience will be rewarding AND greatly enrich my compositional ability.

List of Works completed in 2009:

Piano Trio no. 1
Piano Concertante
3 short trios for 2 clarinets and horn
Symphony no. 1 in C minor
Requiem
Christmas Mass
Pestis Eram for A Capella Choir
12 Short Pieces for Piano
2 Episodes for Piano
3 Episoes for String Orchestra
String Quartet in 1 Movement
3 Variations on a Theme of F. Chopin
Piano Sonata no. 1 in C minor
2 Essays for Orchestra
Domine Deus for A Capella Choir
Kyrie for SATB Choir and Piano

No comments:

Post a Comment