Monday, November 8, 2010

LOL

Despite taking a break to work on my paper, all I can think about is my piano quartet. I think I have a good idea how I want to do the last movement. I want to quote material from the other movements, to help overall cohesion, but I want to also showcase the conversational elements of the ensemble itself. I know this idea has been done before and is sort of cliche these days BUT I love the idea of it. I'm still debating the overall form - I have the ideas for the movement clearly in my head though... churning around, of course. I can't wait till I get this paper out of the way!!

2 comments:

  1. Try doing your quoting in clever ways: augmenting, inverting, changing keys, turning things retrograde, using fragments, enlarging them, or making them smaller. The technique is not something I would call a cliche, but you have to be careful to use cyclic techniques lightly and whimsically, so they don't seem like tricks or ways of cheating. Above all, don't be predictable when you bring stuff back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understood. I may not quote it, we will see though.

    ReplyDelete