Sunday, February 21, 2010

New Project

So, I decided to enter the Cabrillo Festival this year. It's headed up by Marin Alsop - a conductor that I've held as a role model to some degree since I first saw her conduct the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra a few years ago. The piece I'm composed is a special project just for the festival. My inspiration for this work comes from visiting local cemeteries here in Illinois: Campground Cemetery (Coles County), Wright Cemetery (Shelby County), and Greenhill Cemetery (Moultrie County). The history in the region dates back to about the 1820s, when the settlers first settled the counties listed above. Some of the grave markers are from that very early part of the local history - and is fascinating to me as a composer. So, what I've done.. is the first section is a look at Campground Cemetery. This cemetery used to be a meeting place for the religious circuit preachers and pastors of the early to mid 19th century. So, I researched and found a very old version of Amazing Grace that dates to that period and set it in a fugato. The counterpoint and harmonization are all mine... but the theme itself is the original theme - and yes, it is public domain (I did include that I used it in my program notes). I'm very eager and hope this gets selected for the Cabrillo.

1 comment:

  1. I decided, a few days ago... that the scope of the above mentioned piece in the thread was a lot larger and more involved than the festival idea (after listening to a few of the pieces). I envision for this a work of multiple movements. Please refer to my blogpost about the cabrillo festival from today.

    ReplyDelete