Monday, March 21, 2011

New Solo Viola Work

Was talking to a friend of mine who is taking pre-college courses at Julliard and he wanted to know 'when' I would write a piece for him to play. He's a young man, I think only 13 or so, but is an amazing prodigy at music. On top of playing viola, he is also a wonderfully talented young composer! Needless to say, I was taken aback at him asking me for a piece - I hadn't even heard him play! So, in talking with him, I tailored a short viola piece of about 135 bars. I focused on exploring one of my favorite intervals: the minor second. The work's form is in abridged sonata-allegro AND is one which I purposefully work with climactic points. The work is viewable on Young Composers, link provided below. Enjoy! Once he gets the piece practiced he promised he would play it at his next recital!

Imprintations for Solo Viola

No comments:

Post a Comment